General Energy Situation

The Tobacco industry are large consumers of energy in the production process. Thermal energy is used for tobacco drying, casing, and keeping the building warm. The use of compressed air is essential for filter shooting and pneumatic devices, vacuum for tobacco dust removal and in-line transport of tobacco leaves.  Much energy is also used to produce cold water for building and machine cooling. An average cigarette manufacturing site consumes around 60,000 MWh of energy per year. About 55% of the energy comes from burning fossil fuels (mostly coal, fuel oil, and/or natural gas) with the remaining 45% from an electricity supplier.


  • Simultaneous pressures to diversify their brands while cutting costs. 
  • Increased taxation adds extra pressure to cut costs in order to maintain profit margins.
  • Time consuming to manage both energy issues and control operational costs
  • Need to deliver competitive, quality products to meet and go beyond consumer expectations.

Cendid offers unique solutions for the Tobacco industry

CENDID is an active consultant for the tobacco industry, having completed numerous energy assessments of tobacco plants across Europe, South America, Africa and Asia. As proven in the field, CENDID energy action plans can save more than 27% in yearly energy costs. A prime example of this, is the CENDID installation of a trigeneration project in Africa, where electricity, heat and chilled water are produced from the same source. This project resulted in yearly energy savings of 1,500,000 EUR.

 CENDID provides integral energy management and efficiency solutions tailored to the specific needs of the Tobacco industry through its many technical and managerial solutions.